Monday, September 05, 2016

Non-Herculean Labor

Seeing as this is Labor Day, figured I'd do the "FirstSevenJobs" deal that's spread across the internet in the past month.  If you haven't heard of it, it's people tweeting a list of their first seven jobs. It's entertaining, though I wouldn't make too much of it except to say that most people start out at the bottom.

I've read stuff against this trend, because the writer thinks it encourages the belief that people pull themselves up by their own bootstraps, when in fact there's little social mobility in this country and your birth determines how far you'll go unless the government steps in.  Some people have too much time on their hands.

I'm not on Twitter, so I'll just list them here.  Though to me a job is something regularly scheduled for which you receive money.  This cuts out things like snow shoveling and babysitting, since that money was opportunistic, and other things like early writing for which I didn't make any money.  On the other hand, it includes things for which I received a pittance.

Fast food porter

Pharmacy assistant

Stage performer

Office scut work

Tutor

Test prep teacher

Law clerk

So there it is.  I think I may have missed a job or two, only because they were so insignificant and short-lived that I don't remember them.

4 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

Paper Boy
Landscaper
Drugstore Clerk
Gas station attendant
Janitor
Lawyer
Management

[I arbitrarily counted summer jobs but not work study or Xmas break jobs or subcategories (i.e. summer associate)]

7:02 AM, September 05, 2016  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

This sounds likes propaganda to undermine the living wage. Shame on you people.

8:58 AM, September 05, 2016  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's wrong, ColumbusGuy, don't have seven jobs to tell us? Still stuck mowing lawns?

10:27 AM, September 05, 2016  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

Ooh, that's scary. You know who I am!

2:36 PM, September 05, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter