Sunday, November 13, 2016

Not This Time

I thought I was done writing about the election, but this was irresistible.  I was in my local drug store when I saw it: "Madam President," a "Special Commemorative Edition" of Newsweek, celebrating "Hillary Clinton's Historic Journey to the White House."

I picked up a copy before they took it back.

I'm not one for schadenfreude, but this document is too fascinating to leave alone.  Let me share the titles of some of the articles:

"Park Ridge To Pennsylvania Avenue"

"No First Housewife"

"Hillary Power"

"Letting Hillary Be Hillary"

"She's A Lady!--When Hillary Clinton launched her candidacy, America was ready for its first woman president."

"Sharing The White House"

"What The Primaries Taught Us"

"A Night Of Firsts"

"Debating Donald--Struggling against the strangest candidate in American history, Hillary showed her expertise."

"Hillary: The Human--One of Hillary Clinton's most brilliant campaigning moves was simply telling her story."

Maybe I should put the edition in a wrapper.  Who knows how much a mint condition will be worth in a few years?

PS  I went back to the drug store today.  This special edition was no longer available.  I should have bought every copy on display when I had the chance.  They would have made great Christmas gifts.

8 Comments:

Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

Damn you. I read about that but assumed it would be impossible to get.

1:06 AM, November 13, 2016  
Blogger LAGuy said...

So make me an offer.

1:54 AM, November 13, 2016  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

Bah. I'll get the government to take it from you.

1:57 AM, November 13, 2016  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the saddest words what might have been

11:53 AM, November 13, 2016  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

Darn. It's over $150 on Ebay already. Wait, here's one for $75, and another for $550.

If Newsweek recalled this issue, it doesn't plan to make any more money on it. Does that make it ethical for me to download a torrent version?

Does it contain an article about how the American public fears that Trump supporters might riot?

6:09 PM, November 13, 2016  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

You need to frame it, and then put an original Chicago Tribune "Dewey Defeats Truman" headline next to it. Ebay has one for only $2,599.

Btw, the best Truman video after the election is here. Start at 29:49 -- it's only about two minutes.

6:38 PM, November 13, 2016  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

Oh, what might have been, what might have been.

You're right, Anonymous. That makes me feel GREAT.

2:06 AM, November 14, 2016  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys are like putting change in a mechanical donkey

12:25 PM, November 14, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter