Sunday, February 12, 2017

Mater Matter

Got the annual call from my law school, asking me for a donation. I gave them my annual turndown.

This call is unlike the many other calls I get asking for money (or, for that matter, trying to cheat me out of money) in that I can't be rude, or slam the phone down. It's my alma mater, and I'm speaking to a student, so I have to be civilized before I say no.

Though this year I really got the hard sell. After some small talk, she (it was a she, and it usually is--is it just me or is it a plan?) asked for a big amount. I said no, and she asked for a smaller number. I said no, and she asked for an even smaller number. Each speech was part of a prepared spiel, and I could have saved her the trouble, except that's how it had to play out.

And it will play out that way next year. I'd rather they not call, but even if I could ask to be removed from the list, I don't think I'd have the nerve.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

But are you coming to reunion?

(You should!)

8:11 AM, February 15, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter