Wednesday, February 01, 2017

Not The Chuck Berry Version

When I was little, I was taught all sorts of old-timey songs.  I didn't question it, I just did what I was told.  I recently listened to "School Days" and it occurred to me--I sang the words, but I had no idea what they meant.

The song was written in 1907.  Here's the chorus--the only part anyone knows--followed by my comments.

School days, school days
Dear old Golden Rule days [1]
Reading and 'riting and 'rithmetic [2]
Taught to the tune of a hick'ry stick [3]
You were my queen in calico [4]
I was your bashful barefoot beau [5]
You wrote on my slate "I Love You So" [6]
When we were a couple of kids

1.  I'm not sure if I knew what the Golden Rule was when I sang it. When I look at it today, I don't just see a strained rhyme, but a line that doesn't make much sense. Since when is school about doing unto others what you'd have them do unto you?

2.  I think even as a kid I knew what the three R's were, so this is one of the few lines that actually meant something to me.

3.  I'm certain I had no idea what a hickory stick was (or was for), much less what its tune was.  Looking at it today, it reminds you that corporal punishment was a part of life for kids a century ago--not just at home, but potentially from any adult who had any say in your life.

4.  I had no idea what calico was.  I don't think I tried to find out.  When you're a kid, some words are just sounds.

5.  Not sure if I knew what a beau was.  More important, just how often did kids around the turn of the last century go to school with no shoes on?

6.  According to the internet, the line is "I love you, Joe." Maybe, but I sang "I love you so."  I prefer my version--what if you're not named Joe?

4 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I don't recall hearing (or taking in ) any but the first two lines of that song. Though it may not make sense, I think I always assumed the rule referred to here was "Spare the rod, spoil the child"

1:16 PM, February 01, 2017  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

"I love you so" is creepier. "I love you, Joe" sounds more motherly/teacherly, without risking a law suit.

9:31 AM, February 02, 2017  
Blogger LAGuy said...

"Motherly/teacherly"? It's a fellow student. If she's motherly or teacherly to her beau, THAT would sound creepy.

9:51 AM, February 02, 2017  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I always thought calico was the standard material worn by school marms. That's why I thought the song was referring to the singer's teacher. But I see now that the line says "we were a couple of kids," so forget that. I don't think I ever read the lyrics before, or made it to the end of the song.

6:35 AM, February 05, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter