Saturday, May 20, 2017

Face Offs

Here's a piece in The Hollywood Reporter about the toughest time slot battles in TV's new schedule. The headline says there are six, but I only count five.  Talk about bad editing.  (And they're actually about the major networks, so it's missing quite a bit.)

Here are the battles, with my choices.

Tuesday, 9 p.m.: Black-ish (ABC) v. The Mick (Fox) v. Superstore (NBC) 

I occasionally watch Superstore, and I've never gotten into Black-ish, but I guess I'll go with The Mick. Though if I miss them all it's no big deal.  I expect Black-ish to win this battle, though out of its safe Thursday slot, it may be vulnerable.

Tuesday, 9:30 p.m.: The Mayor (ABC) v. Brooklyn Nine-Nine (Fox) v. The Good Place (NBC) 
This one is painful.  Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Good Place are two of my favorite comedies. (Not the first time in recent years two comedies I like are scheduled against each other.  Look above to see what's at 9 pm--why couldn't one of them have flipped?) Having to decide between the two, I don't think I'll have time to check out The Mayor.

Thursday, 8 p.m.: Will & Grace (NBC) v. The Big Bang Theory (CBS)
Never watched Will & Grace before, so I don't think I'll start now.  The Big Bang Theory is getting tired, but I guess I'll stick around.

Thursday, 9 p.m.: This Is Us (NBC) v. Scandal (ABC)

One show on its way up, the other on its way down. Still, NBC is making a big move with its hottest new series.  I'm guessing the fans will stick with it, though some shows just don't work so well in new time slots.  As for me, I'll watch This Is Us if I watch anything.

Friday, 8 p.m.: Once Upon a Time (ABC) v. Blindspot (NBC) v. MacGyver (CBS) 
Friday at 8?  I'll be out at the movies.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

When my old DVR finally broke down last year, I gave up tracking when shows actually air. Since then we have streamed everything. Which means we stopped watching anything on CBS, since they plan to charge for streaming access. Otherwise I would be concerned that Twin Peaks and Fear the Walking Dead are both on Sunday Nights.

4:27 AM, May 21, 2017  
Blogger LAGuy said...

All the best shows are on Sunday (as well as Fear The Walking Dead). I don't know why that is, but I guess it doesn't matter any more.

Too bad for CBS. You're just entering the age when you should be their audience.

10:50 AM, May 21, 2017  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Black-ish has definitely grown on me. Appropriate level of silliness and its on after something I like.

Superstore is OK but could take it or leave it though the atmosphere just reminds me of that state popcorn smell I remember from when I worked in the 1980 version of that kind of store.

8:42 AM, May 22, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter