Friday, September 01, 2017

Simon Says

I recently picked up Uneasy Stages, a collection of John Simon's theatre criticism.  I read it years ago and I wanted to see how it held up.

Simon was (is?--he's still alive, but I don't think he's writing) noted for being the harshest critic around.  He didn't like most of what he saw, and wasn't known for sparing anyone's feelings, going so far as to make fun of how actors looked.

I was surprised how well I remembered many of his reviews. I guess vituperation sticks with you.

There was one thing I forgot.  He criticizes playwrights, actors, directors, set designers, costumers, whomever.  He also takes on other critics.  But what surprised me was that he even trained his sights on the audience.

More than once he complains that an audience was too appreciative of a piece, or didn't understand it.  Now that's a critic.  Plenty of them have the people who put on the play worried, but only Simon could make those sitting in the house with him nervous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter