Friday, October 27, 2017

True Regret

I was watching the 1969 True Grit on TV with the CC on, as is my wont.  And there was John Wayne and Kim Darby having a discussion about "coon hunting."

However, instead of writing out the word "coon," the CC typist had it as "XXXX" every time it appeared.

I assume someone felt it was an offensive racial epithet.  That it is, but not in context, where the characters are discussing the hunting of a raccoon.

In any case, why do readers of the movie need to be protected while the much larger crowd of listeners can apparently handle it?

1 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I cannot talk about my Maine Coon Cat online in many places for the same reason (Though there are theories they were named after Mr. Coon who bred them my pet seems to resemble, in both looks and temperament, an actual raccoon).


Maybe AI will improve so the censorbots will be able to differentiate someday

8:08 AM, October 30, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter