Sunday, November 12, 2017

Unruffled

I was buying some potato chips for a party.  My favorite type is Ruffles.  The three choices offered at the grocery store were original, cheese and sour cream & onion*.

But I noticed something else.  When you look at the small, single-serving bags, they have cheese and sour cream & onion, but nowhere did I see just regular Ruffles.

This is my favorite kind of Ruffles--I don't really eat the others.  I'm sure millions are like me.  So what if someone wants to buy a small serving as part of lunch? Can't be done, apparently.

I'm sure the small original Ruffles bag exists somewhere, just not the stores where I shop.  Why?  Is there a reason Frito-Lay is doing this?

*I generally don't use the Oxford comma, but when the final item includes an "and," that's the best time for it. In this case, it's merely an ampersand so I'm willing to take the chance that the reader won't be confused.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The laugh will be on you when you get a bag of onion Ruffles.

4:57 PM, November 12, 2017  
Blogger New England Guy said...

We have a whole shelf of small Regular Ruffles in our Lobby shop (and cheese ones too but not the sour cream & onion variety- but we have Lays for that). I think the issue is with the store owner/manager. I successfully lobbied our store to get small JAX cheese curls (which are both disgusting and wonderful simultaneously)

9:04 AM, November 13, 2017  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Every store I've been to lacks single-serving regular Ruffles, so it seems to be more than manager choice. Someone must have decided this for all of Southern California.

What do you mean by "our Lobby shop." Do you live in or own a hotel?

9:45 AM, November 13, 2017  
Blogger New England Guy said...

I work in a high rise (only on the 3d floor but it is 22 stories tall). There is a small convenience store on the first floor as most high rises seem to have. Your post motivated (hehehe) me to buy regular Ruffles to go with my lunch.

2:26 PM, November 13, 2017  
Blogger brian said...

I gotta say the originals are not my first choice. I used to like them - - to dip into a chip dip, usually sour cream and onion. The whole point of the ruffles (have ridges) is to a. give more surface area for seasonings, and b. give extra sturdiness for dipping.

2:02 PM, November 14, 2017  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the ridges also make the crunchier, and more pleasing to the tongue.

4:04 PM, November 14, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter