Monday, May 21, 2018

Starbucks To Stay

Starbucks has made its new policy clear: anyone who walks into a store is considered a customer.  It doesn't matter if they buy something.  Which means, of course, they can enjoy the amenities without being pestered by employees.

I'll let you in on a secret.  Starbucks has always been my go-to spot when I'm looking for a free bathroom.  If you walk right in and go straight to the can, then walk out, there's not much they can do.  I used to at least pretend that I might purchase something, but now I can waltz in and take as long as I want.  I can even sit down and read whatever spare newspaper sections are lying around.

Maybe I'll tell friends to meet me there.  We could even hold a party, bring in some sandwiches.  And if a barista asks if I want anything, I'll say stop bothering me.

There are parts of Los Angeles where it's hard to find a free bathroom, so this is good news.  I hear it's even tougher in some cities, like New York, so I can imagine Starbucks might be a lot more crowded from now on.

Will I ever buy anything there?  I don't think so.  I'm not much for coffee.  Though I suppose some day I might change my mind, which I guess makes me a potential potential customer.  But the great thing is in one fell swoop, there are now thousands of lounges across America where I can luxuriate.

PS  Starbucks has clarified the new policy.  No drugs allowed, no sleeping.  Okay, I can handle that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Lawrence King said...

And their bathrooms are always clean. Will that remain true in the future?

3:10 PM, May 21, 2018  
Blogger New England Guy said...

The Starbucks in Boston have a code you have to ask for. That seems true at many places here though

4:19 AM, May 24, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter