Thursday, November 29, 2018

If You Can Do The Time

I was recently on vacation in Michigan, where there's a lot of road work going on.

Over and over a saw a sign that noted if I injure or kill a worker, I could be subject to a $7500 fine and 15 years in prison.

First, do they need to say both kill and injure?  I would assume, no matter what the situation, that killing someone is a serious offense with significant penalties.  But getting in big trouble for merely sideswiping some hard hat?  That could be considered news.

Much bigger, there's the combination of the fine and jail time.  I just don't see the need to mention both--15 years seems serious enough by itself.

Or to put it another way, how many people are going to say to themselves "I'm willing to go to jail for 15 years, but I haven't got $7500."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter