Thursday, December 27, 2018

Has It Been Twenty Years?

Ah, 1998.  Y2K was in sight.  Seemed like we were coming to some turning point.  Were we?  Probably not. (Bill Clinton was at the height of his popularity then...and he was impeached.  I wonder if he could have guessed that today he--and Hillary--would be wishing for the good old days of 1998. But enough about politics, this is about movies, which are more fun.)

Anyway, Jesse Walker has come up with his top ten film list for that year.  Here it is:

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Happiness
3. After Life
4. Rushmore
5. The Celebration
6. Oz 2
7. A Simple Plan
8. Out Of Sight
9. Velvet Goldmine
10. High Art

The Big Lebowski is a lot of fun (I much preferred it to the Coen Brother's previous, Fargo--unlike film critics of the day, who generally found it a letdown), and it has become one of the biggest cult films of all time.  But it's still a mess--a shaggy dog of a movie.  Top ten material?  If it is, it's on the lower half of the list.

Happiness should be here--it may be the best film in Todd Solondz fascinating filmography.

After Life is pretty good. Probably should be here.

Rushmore is the beginning of Wes Anderson's precious period (i.e., every film he's made after his first, Bottle Rocket).  It's got its moments, but I've never quite understood what everyone sees in it.

The Celebration is pretty good, despite the crass promotional tool of Dogme 95 behind it.

Oz is a TV show (not one that I really cared for) and so shouldn't be on this list.

I agree with Jesse that A Simple Plan is Sam Raimi's best movie.  That doesn't make it great, but good enough for the list.

Out Of Sight may be Soderbergh's best, and should probably be higher.

Velvet Goldmine, on the other hand, I find a glittery, pretentious mess.

High Art I like.

11. Pi
12. Buffy the Vampire Slayer 2
13. O Night Without Objects
14. There's Something About Mary
15. Buffalo '66
16. Dark City
17. Billy's Balloon
18. The Truman Show
19. The Last Days of Disco
20. Babe: Pig in the City

#11 established Aronofsky, but I think it's kind of dreary.  #12 is a TV show.  Haven't seen #13.  #14 is the best film of the year, and the best comedy of the past quarter century.  #15 sounds horrible on paper, but somehow works--should be top ten.  #16 was Roger Ebert's film of the year--it's not bad, but it wouldn't make my top twenty.  #17 is the short that established Hertzfeldt.  I remember reading the screenplay for #18 when it was the hottest script in town, and later remember pitching at Scott Rudin's shop at Paramount when they made a deal for the movie and excitement was in the air.  I didn't find the film that resulted too impressive, and the third act problems are so severe I don't think it even works.  I'm not going to comment on #19 since I know the director.  Everyone agrees #20 wasn't as good as the original, but I'm not even sure it's any good at all.

Other Films That Might Make My Top Ten

Saving Private Ryan

Run Lola Run

Rounders

Other film I like:

Antz, A Bug's Life, The Decline Of Western Civilization III, Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, Gods And Monsters, The Life And Times Of Hank Greenberg, Mulan, Next Stop Wonderland, The Opposite Of Sex, The Parent Trap, Small Soldiers, Smoke Signals, Zero Effect

Other films of note:

Addams Family Reunion, Almost Heroes, American History X, An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn, The Apple, Apt Pupil, Armageddon, The Avengers, BASEketball, Beloved, The Big Hit, Billy’s Hollywood Screen Kiss, Blade, Blues Brothers 2000, Bride Of Chucky, Bulworth, Can’t Hardly Wait, Celebrity, Central Station, Chairman Of The Board, City Of Angels, A Civil Action, Clay Pigeons, Cousin Bette, Dance With Me, Dancing At Lughnasa, Dangerous Beauty, Dead Man On Campus, Deep Impact, Desperate Measures, Dirty Work, Doctor Dolittle, Down In The Delta, Ever After, The Faculty, Fallen, The Farm: Angola USA, Finding Graceland, The Gingerbread Man, Godzilla, Goodbye Lover, Great Expectations, Half Baked, Halloween H2O, Hard Rain,
He Got Game, The Hi-Lo Country, Holy Man (a fascinating flop), Home Fries, Homegrown, Hope Floats, The Horse Whisperer, How Stella Got Her Groove Back, Hurlyburly, Hush, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer, The Impostors, Jack Frost, Jane Austen’s Mafia!, Judas Kiss, Kissing A Fool, Knock Off, Krippendorf’s Tribe, Kurt & Courtney, Lenny Bruce: Swear To Tell The Truth, Les Miserables, Lethal Weapon 4, Living Out Loud, Lost In Space, Madeline, The Man In The Iron Mask, The Mask Of Zorro, Meet Joe Black (a fascinating flop), Meet The Deedles, Mercury Rising, Might Joe Young, The Mighty, Monument Ave., Music From Another Room, My Giant, The Negotiator, New Rose Hotel, The Newton Boys, A Night At The Roxbury, No Looking Back, The Object Of My Affection, The Odd Couple II, One True Thing, Overnight Delivery, Palmetto, Patch Adams, Pecker, The Pentagon Wars, A Perfect Murder, Permanent Midnight, Phantoms, Phoenix, Playing By Heart, Pleasantville, Polish Wedding, Poodle Springs, A Price Above Rubies, Primary Colors, The Prince Of Egypt, Quest For Camelot, The Replacement Killers, Restaurant, Return To Paradise, Ringmaster, Ronin, Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer, Rush Hour, Safe Men, Senseless, Shakespeare In Love (Best Picture Oscar Winner), The Siege, Simon Birch, Since You’ve Been Gone, Six Days Seven Nights, Slums Of Beverly Hills, Snake Eyes (amazing opening shot), Soldier, Sour Grapes, Species II, Sphere, Spice World, Star Trek: Insurrection, Stepmom, Suicide Kings, Tarzan And The Lost City, The Thin Red Line, Twilight, Urban Legend, U.S. Marshals, Vampires, Very Bad Things, The Waterboy, The Wedding Singer, What Dreams May Come, Why Do Fools Fall In Love, Wide Awake, Wild Things, Without Limits, Woo, Wrongfully Accused, The X-Files, Your Friends & Neighbors, You’ve Got Mail

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Shakespeare In Love isn't good enough for any of you? Also, I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I kind of like Baseketball.

2:56 PM, December 27, 2018  
Blogger brian said...

that is a lot of movies to consider. How many movies were made in 1998?

4:25 PM, December 27, 2018  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I don't know how many films were made in 1998. Figuring out all the releases from the major Hollywood studios wouldn't be that hard, but when you throw in all the independents and all the foreign sources, I don't think anyone knows.

But if you want to see a lengthy list for 1998, or any time, you can go to Wikipedia and check for the category of films from whatever year you wish.

5:01 PM, December 27, 2018  
Blogger brian said...

It is interesting to consider the number and how much it might change year to year. If there is significant fluctuation it seems there might be more highly rated films from years that simply have more films.

On Jesse's top ten I did not see most of the films contemporaneously. I saw and liked Out of Sight. I thought the cast did a good turn (was surprised by JLo). I saw the Truman Show and liked the concept but agree that it fell apart. Left the theater a bit disappointed that it could have been so much more.

5:25 AM, December 28, 2018  
Blogger Jesse said...

Rounders? I llke Dahl but that struck me as one of his lesser efforts.

8:58 AM, December 28, 2018  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

I just saw The Big Lebowski for the first time since it came out. Not as fun as I first thought, but still good. I think my biggest laugh this time around was at the dick drawing.

Kind of feel the same way about Rushmore and have liked each Wes Anderson movie even less with one or two exceptions. Lately I feel like he's trying to be twee Greenaway and I'd rather take the non-twee version.

Out of Sight being Soderbergh's best is a big claim. It's due for a re-watch though.

Here's my list:

1. Snake Eyes
2. The Thin Red Line
4. Black Cat White Cat
5. A Bug's Life
6. Knock Off
7. Dr. Akagi
8. Lola Rennt
9. The Big Lebowski
10. Rushmore

11. The Faculty
12. Buffalo '66
13. Gods and Monsters
14. The Last Days of Disco
15. The Opposite of Sex
16. Practical Magic
17. The Bird People of China
18. Hurlyburly (would have loved to have seen the eastcoast stage version with Wallace Shawn, Ethan Hawke and Parker Posey!)
19. Meet Joe Black
20. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Let's see, in 1998 I entered my senior year of high school, was hanging out with some guys who were in film school and watching a ton of movies, and my favorite directors were Kurosawa and John Sayles (though maybe Sayles wasn't quite up there until Limbo came out the next summer). Speaking of Sayles I've sometimes seen Men With Guns included on 1998 lists but it's on my list for '97. Otherwise it'd be near the top. Same for Henry Fool.

About Knock Off: a couple years ago I got to meet Guy Maddin at a screening for one of his movies, and it came out that he's buddies with Ron and Russel Mael (who did music for the screened movie.) I was dying to ask if they every had much to say about Tsui Hark, but felt it would have been rude.

12:35 PM, January 05, 2019  
Blogger Jesse said...

But what's your #3, Bream?

12:38 PM, January 05, 2019  
Blogger LAGuy said...

It's rare to here from a fan of Meet Joe Black. As I note, it fascinates me. Martin Brest was going for something (the equivalent of acting underwater?) and completely failed, but at least he went for it.

12:46 PM, January 05, 2019  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

Jesse: oops, I guess everything shifts up 1 and The Truman Show becomes number 20.

LAGuy: Oh I'd agree that Meet Joe Black is a failure (at whatever it's trying for). But it's a really interesting failure and that's sometimes good enough for me. Possibly my favorite movie I'd put in that category is The Red Tent (Kalatazov; the parts that don't fail are some of the best in film) or maybe some of Tod Browning's last pictures. Actually there are a ton of early movies that I'd consider failures (or at least experiments that didn't get fully digested into the emerging film vocabulary), weird mashups like the Bela Lugosi vampire movie that took place during The Blitz.

1:06 PM, January 05, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter