Thursday, February 14, 2019

Reality Fiction or Whose Sharona?

Doug Fieger died, too young, on February 14, 2010.  He was the leader of the Knack, writing or co-writing just about all their songs, including their biggest hit "My Sharona."

I was just thinking about it, since that song was almost in Pulp Fiction.  It would have accompanied the notorious scene in the backroom of the pawn shop.  But what happened (according to one story I read) is those who owned the rights decided it should be in the movie Reality Bites instead.

I can understand the decision.  Reality Bites was more mainstream, and probably seemed the more likely hit in 1994.  Still, they chose poorly.

Tarantino later said it was just as well, since "My Sharona" would have come across as too jokey for his scene.  I disagree.  It would have been a classic moment.  Though it also would have meant from that point on, whenever people heard the song, they would be thinking of a certain sexual act.


2 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

I prefer Doug to Jeff

7:23 PM, February 14, 2019  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I don't think most people, especially outside Michigan, know who Geoffrey Fieger is. But years from now, I bet they'll still be rocking to "My Sharona."

12:37 AM, February 15, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter