Wednesday, February 20, 2019

They Need To Go Back

Wasting my time on YouTube, I came across this video on the "Top 10 Most Insane Lost Moments."  Not sure why I watched it, since, as much as I loved Lost, I haven't spent that much time looking back. Now that I've seen the video, I must say, that's 14 minutes I'll never get back.

This is the obligatory sentence where I warn you there will be spoilers ahead.  Though really, if you haven't watched Lost yet, I doubt you ever will.

The list is almost worthless.  Sure, there are plenty of good moments--how could there not be? But those missing include the beginning of season two where we discover we're in the hatch (and a similar shock opening to season three), the wild visit to Jacob's cabin, Linus shooting Locke, Linus strangling Locke, first meeting Jacob and the Man In Black, discovering the young Ben Linus, Locke making a surprise reappearance, Ben killing Jacob and quite a few others.

But I could forgive all that if they hadn't kept off the list the most mind-blowing moment in the show--perhaps in the history of television.  I'm referring, of course, to the scene at the end of season three when Kate gets out of her car and walks over to Jack.  It was then we understood everything we thought we knew was wrong.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Lawrence King said...

I mostly agree... but I'd rate the first scenes of seasons two and three higher than the end of season three.

It was indeed astounding to discover what seemed to be a flashback was a flash-forward ("We have to go back!"). But watching some dude playing a 1970s phonograph and then discovering he is living under Locke's hatch -- and watching a suburban book-club and then discovering that it's run by the believed-to-be-savage "Others" -- were even more mindblowing to me.

10:41 PM, February 20, 2019  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I still remember being at a friend's house to watch the finale. During the entire episode, we're watching what we think is a Jack flashback. And we're wondering who he plans to meet. Finally, at the end of the show, that person gets out of the car--and it's Kate!

And you don't think right away it's a flash-forward. Instead your mind starts reeling. How could it be Kate? How can all we know have happened on the island with these two knowing each other all along? Before you figure it out, it feels like you've been struck by some weird medical condition.

11:08 PM, February 20, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter