Saturday, April 27, 2019

Toot Toot Tootsie Goodbye

A musical version of Tootsie just opened on Broadway.  It features Santino Fontana as Michael Dorsey/Dorothy Michaels, the role made famous by Dustin Hoffman.

Critic David Rooney gives it a rave in The Hollywood Reporter.  But then he has to go and quote from it:

One of the most uproarious developments is Dorothy's unwelcome love interest Max Van Horn [....]  In "That Thing," he brings the same wooden earnestness as Max that Max brings to Craig in the show within the show, drawing maximum laughs from [composer David] Yazbeck's lyrics: "It's odd, you're so old, I'm so young/ And my abs are like slabs of fine granite/ My bod is like gold and I'm hung/ And you're old, oh I said that, but dammit!"

Ouch.  Yazbeck can't be bothered to rhyme properly.  Sounds like a pass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter