Tuesday, September 10, 2019

No Change

I was recently ordering takeout at a restaurant--doesn't matter which one.  Anyway, I owed $8.62.  I checked my change and didn't have 62 cents, but I did have 12 cents.  So I gave the cashier the 12 cents, figuring it would make for easier change. Then I checked to see if I had nine dollars, but not quite, so I gave the cashier a twenty-dollar bill.

The cashier punched some buttons, the cash drawer opened, and she gave me 12 dollars back.  I figured she must have thought I gave her $20.62.  In a fit of honestly, I told her what I'd actually paid--she owed me $11.50, not $12.  She said since she rang it up wrong so she'd have to call the manager.

I said how about instead I just give you a dollar back and you give me 50 cents--I'll have proper change and no one will be any the wiser.  But no, this was something only the manager could handle.  So the manager came over and it took a couple minutes to clear things up.

I realize people who operate cash registers aren't necessarily good with numbers.  In fact, the cash register is there to take care of the numbers so they don't have to.  But still, haven't they figured out as long as the cash register receives the proper amount in the end, it doesn't matter how you ring it up?  I guess not.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's not alot of trust for minimum wage cashiers. If she exchanged money with you without ringing it on the register, and no doubt the eye in the sky would catch it, she'd be out of a job with a bad reference. Have a little tolerance please.

2:51 PM, September 10, 2019  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Come now. This isn't Vegas. The most any camera would catch is me giving her money and she giving me change--like any other transaction. If she mistakenly gave me an extra dollar and I handed it back to her, do you think she'd call over the manager to make sure it's okay?

3:09 PM, September 10, 2019  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The classic Dilbert.

"That'll be $1.19."

"I'll make it easy for you. Here's $1.44"

As the clerk goes into paralysis, Dilbert says it's his mission to help people.

(It took at least six verify screens to get here. THey're screwing with us.)

1:56 AM, September 11, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter