Friday, December 20, 2019

Every Year Around This Time

My friend Jesse Walker has started his top ten movie lists.  Not for 2019--he doesn't have enough perspective.  But he'll look back at every year that ends in 9.  In fact, he's been doing this list thing long enough enough that this isn't the first time we'll be seeing some of these years.

Starting, in reverse chronological order, with the best of 2009.  Hardly seems like a decade ago.

1.  Up
2.  Inglourious Basterds
3.  A Prophet
4.  Coraline
5.  A Serious Man
6.  Jennifer's Body
7.  Broken Embraces
8.  Funny People
9.  Four.Five.Three.Six.Five
10. Daddy Longlegs

I liked Up, but maybe top twenty. It had some great moments, but the second half bogged down with some story problems. (You'll see below there were other animated features I preferred.)

Inglourious Basterds is QT's best since Pulp Fiction, and deserves a spot on the list.

Coraline I liked a lot (a rare film worth seeing in 3-D) but, once again, top twenty.

Like every Coen Brothers' film, A Serious Man has some fascinating moments, and it's aged well, but I don't think it's great, or even especially good.

Broken Embraces is decent Almodovar--not top ten or even twenty.

Funny People throws a lot at you.  Judd Apatow has defended its length, but I'm sorry, two and a half hours is too long for a comedy. (Don't tell me that people binge watch sitcoms for hours--a series of sprints is not the same as a marathon.) There's a decent 90 minute comedy in here. Too bad he didn't go for it.

The rest I haven't seen, though, except for #9, I had plenty of chances.

Here are the honorable mentions:

11.  Ajami
12.  The Fantastic Mr. Fox
13.  Cropsey
14.  Moon
15.  The White Ribbon
16.  Life During Wartime
17.  The Thick Of It 3
18.  Universal Soldier: Regeneration
19.  Sherlock Holmes
20.  Teclopolis

Haven't seen 11, 13, 17 or 20.

12 was a lot of fun--makes my top ten. (I'm not in the habit of correcting Jesse, who's usually meticulous, but there's no "The" in the title.)  14 was a curio. Worth watching, though I'm not sure what to make of it.  15 was overrated, like so much of Haneke.  16 was a weird sequel/non-sequel (to a superior film).  Solondz' films are often better on second viewings because the characters disappoint you so much the first time around it can be hard to take.  18 and 19 were, to varying degrees, disappointing commercial efforts.

Here are some films that would have made my top ten or twenty

Anvil! The Story Of Anvil

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs

The Hangover

In The Loop

Ponyo

Star Trek

Up In The Air

World's Greatest Dad 

Here are other films I liked

An Education, Every Little Step, (500) Days Of Summer, Taken, Two Lovers, Monsters vs Aliens, Zombieland, Paranormal Activity, Good Hair, The Princess And The Frog, The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus, Big Fan, Julie & Julia (liked half of it)

Here are some other notable films of the year:

2012, Sunshine Cleaning, Gomorra, I Love You Man, The Class, Adventureland, Duplicity, Terminator Salvation, Year One, Public Enemies, Bruno, District 9, Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince, Whatever Works, Surrogates, Whip It, Law Abiding Citizen, The Messenger, A Single Man, An American Affair, He's Just Not That Into You, Bride Wars, The International, New In Town, State Of Play, Angels & Demons, Couples Retreat, Planet 51, Invictus, Confessions Of A Shopaholic, Old Dogs, It's Complicated, Tyson, The Boys, Pressure Cooker, The Damned United, Brothers, Defiance, The Brothers Bloom, The Great Buck Howard, White On Rice, The September Issue, 2012,
Bad Lieutenant: Port Of Call New Orleans, The White Ribbon, Me And Orson Welles, Land Of The Lost, The Taking Of Pelham 1 2 3, Watchmen, Fanboys, Taking Woodstock, Extract, The Informant!, Where The Wild Things Are, The Men Who Stare At Goats, Pirate Radio, Creation, The Road, Observe And Report, Cold Souls, The Baader Meinhoff Complex, The Invention Of Lying, Antichrist, The Misfortunates, Avatar, Precious, Police Adjective, The Blind Side, Paul Blart: Mall Cop, Crazy Heart, 17 Again, Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs, Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen, The Twilight Saga: New Moon, Previous, Crazy Heart, The Last Station, The Messenger, Nine, The Lovely Bones, The Secret Of Kells, The Secret In Their Eyes, The Milk Of Sorrow, Food Inc. The Most Dangerous Man In America, Coco Before Chanel, The Cove, The Young Victoria, Bright Star,

13 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

I will correct the title of FANTASTIC MR. FOX. Thanks.

Re: IN THE LOOP: It's funny, but not as funny as THE THICK OF IT, which of course doesn't qualify by your rules because it's from TV but I'm still allowed to pick it instead.

6:04 AM, December 20, 2019  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So neither of you like the biggest hit of all time, Avatar. I guess you're not looking forward to the four sequels, then.

8:53 AM, December 20, 2019  
Blogger LAGuy said...

The title I was most surprised not to see on your list is The Hangover, which is one of the great Hollywood comedies of the 21st century.

9:59 AM, December 20, 2019  
Blogger Jesse said...

I haven't seen The Hangover. Or Avatar! Though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like Avatar.

10:05 AM, December 20, 2019  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I'm glad Avatar is not on your lists. I found it enormously annoying and derivative. And I'm not against big dollar productions. Star Trek and Taken would be on my top ten list for 2009.

From Jesse's list, Up and Coraline would be in there. From DG's list I would also add Zombieland and The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus.

Surprised no one liked the original Watchmen, which I thought was very engaging (though I had not read the graphic novel and so wasn't disturbed by variations from the source material).

10:07 AM, December 20, 2019  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Watchmen wasn't awful, but it had serious flaws. And the problem wasn't its deviation from the original, the problem was it was too faithful.

The best part was the opening credits--as a standalone sequence it was one of the best things of the year.

10:20 AM, December 20, 2019  
Blogger Jesse said...

I like The Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus, and I think Zombieland has one of the funnier cameos of Bill Murray's career. But I agree with LAGuy re: Watchmen.

10:30 AM, December 20, 2019  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

Like most Tarantino stuff I wanted to like Inglorious Basterds but just thought it was okay. I like the ending though.

Up probably would have made my list when it came out but I haven't watched it again and have generally found the Pixar stuff diminishes in power the older I get (I'm almost 40 now).

Jennifer's Body is one I totally overlooked but am adding to my honorable mentions now that you've reminded me. I also liked The Invitation and Aeon Flux (mostly for the production design).

Ponyo's on my 2008 list, here's my favorites of 09:

1. A Prophet - Just an obvious and easy first choice.

2. Gentlemen Broncos - If Wes Anderson were interesting he'd be Hal Hartley, if he was funny he'd be Jared Hess.

3. The Men Who Stare at Goats

4. The Secret in Their Eyes

5. I Am Love - Beautiful film even if the family drama is not all that interesting. There's an unexpected homage to Ratatouille in this if I remember correctly.

6. Knowing - This movie was a huge flop if I remember correctly but I think a lot of people missed out. It's pretty suspenseful and stylish, with a really great setpiece. Weird that Nicolas Cage was in two rapture movies in the last decade.

7. Avatar - saw this in a huge group over the holidays with my family and my wife (who I had just started dating). I remember walking out of the theater and my wife just brutally roasting us all for liking it, and experience we recapitulate with scifi blockbusters every few years(Interstellar: "Ooh we built a teseract out of love").

8. Mother

9. The International

10. District 9

Honorable mentions: Jennifer's Body; Where the Wild Things Are; The Soloist; Surrogates; The Informant; Enter the Void; Black Dynamite; Taking of Pelham 1 2 3; Coraline; I Love You, Man; Bad Lieutenant - Port of Call: New Orleans; Up

12:49 PM, December 20, 2019  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

Also I know it's just a one-liner and not to take it too seriously but I would like to quibble with the line that A Prophet isn't about the power of the jailers. It's not just that, but while the institutional power is mostly invisible in that movie it is nevertheless an important part. Sort of in a similar but less obvious way to the daughter in The Irishman (sorry for bringing 2019 into it)

12:59 PM, December 20, 2019  
Blogger Jesse said...

It's certainly an important part of the backdrop. You can't have a prison movie without institutional power constantly lurking. But the film's focus is on the power games among the inmates. Even the jailers' authority often ends up being used as a tool in the prisoners' power struggles.

1:07 PM, December 20, 2019  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Thanks for your comments. Now my comments on your comments.

Gentlemen Broncos was a loopy film and a huge flop. It's fascinatingly weird, but I guess you can pull the Napoleon Dynamite trick only once. (As opposed to Wes Anderson, who can pull the same trick over and over.)

Some of the other films you mention are worthy, but some of your favorites I really didn't like--The Men Who Stare At Goats (which didn't work even if you ignore the tiresome politics), Knowing (a mess), District 9 (which was a hit and well-reviewed but I couldn't stand), Where The Wild Things Are (Where The Clinically Depressed Things Are), The Soloist (the movie was no good, but seeing that horrible trailer for months was the worst movie-going experience of that decade).

1:09 PM, December 20, 2019  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

Jesse: sure, as i hope came across it was a minor quibble.

LAPajamaguy (pjguy west coast?): "I guess you can pull the Napoleon Dynamite trick only once. (As opposed to Wes Anderson, who can pull the same trick over and over.)"

So it seems. Too bad though since i like both Nacho Libre and Gentlemen Broncos better.

I guess Knowing is a mess conceptually or plotwise but it has a stylistic consistency that gives its selfseriousness some credibility and pays off when the really crazy stuff starts to happen. It's moody as hell and I don't really get why people hated it (any more than most successful thriller movies certainly), but maybe it's just that I'm often drawn to movies that are broken in some way.

I laughes at your description of Where the wild things are.

5:20 PM, December 20, 2019  
Blogger New England Guy said...

I think Avatar's only lasting legacy at this point is CATS- e.g. Felines with boobs

7:11 AM, December 21, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter