Saturday, December 14, 2019

Cinemarshmallow Experiment

I saw a big poster for Richard Jewell, the Clint Eastwood film that just opened.  And I noticed something.  It said "Only in theaters" beneath the title.  I suppose that phrase has been on other posters, but I haven't noticed before.  It's certainly worth noting in this age.  Even years ago, when there was a big home video industry, they made sure to have a big enough window so that a film would play out before it was released in other ways.

But now, with Netflix, Amazon, etc., there are a bunch of films that open for a short while in theatres and soon after are available for streaming.  I'm sure you know the sort of films I'm talking about--The Irishman, Marriage Story, The Two Popes, Dolemite Is My Name and so on.  They don't really play in theatres to make money so much as to make them eligible for awards.

So when you see the title on the marquee, you ask yourself how badly do I want to see this film? (And how much do I want to see it at the cinema?)  Because if I just wait a few weeks, I can see it for free--i.e., the streaming service I've already paid for will be showing it.

So it's useful information to discover that a film is playing only in theatres.  Sure, it'll eventually be available elsewhere, but not, say, before the Oscars (unless you're a member of the Academy and get free screeners).

I will probably see Richard Jewell soon.  But I wonder if I'd hold off if I knew I only had to wait a month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter