Sunday, December 08, 2019

Scamazon

Yesterday I received an email from a close friend asking me for a favor.  I asked what the favor was.  She wanted me to buy an Amazon gift card for her niece's birthday.  She would get it herself, except she's busy traveling, so she wanted me to buy it and she'd pay me back when she returned.

This was an odd request.  It got odder when she noted she wanted to send a $400 card.  And she wanted me to take a photo and send her the gift card number so she could send it to her niece.

First, I didn't even know she had a niece.  Second, she's not the kind of person who can't take care of gifts herself.  Third, who sends the numbers of a gift card?  And finally, $400 dollars is a pretty big gift.

I also noticed something else.  The second email came from a different address, an address that spelled her surname incorrectly.

I assume someone hacked her account.  I wrote them back telling them sure, I'll do it.  And now I'm just waiting for them to ask what's taking so long.

3 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I like to tell them I will be sending a drone....

4:20 PM, December 08, 2019  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

Really want to hear the outcome of this. My sister in law a few years ago had advised that when she got calls from a live person, she would engage them in conversation, accusing them of being bad people who had disappointed their mothers. I tried this and it really was effective. I had one guy obviously calling from India or Pakistan, who wasted a bunch of his time (of course my time too) defending his activity, insisting he really worked for MircoSoft. But I don't get those live calls anymore - just 3 or 4 robocalls a day now.

2:09 PM, December 09, 2019  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I assume it's over. I haven't heard from them and they're not going to hear from me. The only question left is will my friend have to get a new email address.

4:17 PM, December 09, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter