Saturday, January 25, 2020

Guy Lombardo's Favorite Poet

Scottish poet Robert Burns was born on this day in 1759.  For all his work, he's best-known piece by far is "Auld Lang Syne."

The tune it's sung to was taken from an old folk melody. It's pretty weird that this is the song traditionally sung at New Year.  I mean, the people who sing it--at least in America--have no idea what it's about.

I guess it's a reminder to remember good times, and good friends, and all that, but I'm not sure.  And I'd also guess most people couldn't spell it if you paid them.

I'm not saying it needs to be replaced with a new song. (And what would that song be?  Perhaps someone needs to write something new, like "Hey, It's Another Year, Don't Forget When You Write Your Checks.")  In fact, why sing at all when the clock strikes 12.  Can't we just throw some confetti and be done with it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter