Saturday, April 04, 2020

EB

Elmer Bernstein was born 98 years ago today.  Not as famous as Leonard Bernstein (no relation), he nevertheless was one of the great film composers. Some of his work is burned into popular memory.  For instance, he wrote the Magnificent Seven theme.



And here's his theme from The Great Escape:



Early in his career he scored movies such as The Man With The Golden Arm, The Ten Commandments, Sweet Smell Of Success and To Kill A Mockingbird.  Yet in later years he often scored broad comedy, such as Animal House, Airplane! and many more:



So happy birthday, Elmer.  You did it all.

1 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

My birthday sharer + 40 years.

We also have Craig T. Nelson, Christine Lahti, Kitty Kelley and David E. Kelley, Robert Downey Jr. (who I swear used to be older than me in the 90s but is now younger than me) and Britney Spears' little sister, Jamie Lynn.

Apparent Craig Adams of the band The Cult is exactly the same age as me but I'll admit I do not who that is

7:42 AM, April 04, 2020  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter