Monday, December 26, 2005

Sarris Surprises Again

A few weeks ago I noted the surprising (i.e., non-obvious, politically speaking) way film critic Andrew Sarris discussed Syriana. He does it again in his review of Munich.

I haven't seen the film, so I'll report how I feel on it later. But check out how Sarris sums up his piece:
I am also reminded of another Munich in 1938 when English Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain, French Premier Edouard Daladier and German Chancellor Adolf Hitler negotiated an agreement that, as Chamberlain told the cheering British crowds, would bring “peace in our time.” I bring up this other Munich because I think that Mr. Spielberg is presumptuous to preach peace and nonviolence to Israelis and the rest of us in the contemporary Munich, when the first Munich inexorably produced the Holocaust.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter