Thursday, August 10, 2006

Take Ben Stein's Money

In a rather silly and pointless New York Times piece, former Nixon speechwriter Ben Stein admits he's easily confused. But let me concentrate on one particular question he asks: "Why should the very rich not pay their fair share of the burdens of government?" I couldn't agree more. The rich should pay their fair share. So should the middle class. So should the poor. So should dogs, cats and eating utensils.

The trouble is Ben never quite gets around to explaining what a fair share is. He hints at what he'd like, and even why he'd like it, but doesn't really explain how to measure this "fair share." He apparently thinks since politicians can get away with this rhetorical trick, so can he.

Ben, by definition everyone should pay their fair share. Your job is to prove what "fair" means in this context.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll pay my fair share if they give me my fair piece of the action

12:16 PM, August 10, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter