Thursday, July 12, 2007

Charles Lane

You don't know his name, but you know his face. He was an officious jerk who'd come into a scene and spoil everyone's fun.

Charles Lane just died at 102. (I was surprised he was still alive.) He made a specialty of playing no-nonsense killjoys for over 60 years in hundreds of movies and TV shows.

A lot of his best known roles were in Frank Capra films, where he was practically a regular. He's in, among others, Mr. Deeds Goes To Town, You Can't Take It With You, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington and It's A Wonderful Life. Whenever Capra wanted a wet blanket, he brought in Lane.

Later, in TV, he regularly played the annoyed boss or irritable official on I Love Lucy, The Andy Griffith Show, Bewitched, Get Smart, Green Acres, The Odd Couple, Maude, Mork & Mindy, L. A. Law--in fact, if it was on from 1950 to 1990, assume he was in it unless you know otherwise.

It must have been tough on Lane. Anyone who saw him on the street must have thought "I've seen this guy before--not sure where--and all I know is I don't like him."

That's how typecasting works, I guess. But it sure kept him busy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter