Sunday, November 11, 2007

Norman Mailer

I really don't have much to say about Norman Mailer. I've read a few of his books and essays, but never really developed a strong opinion of his work. Okay, he stinks as a film director, screenwriter and playwright, but no one's making claims for him there.

One thing though--he certainly was a character. Whereas many writers prefer anonymity, he loved the limelight. Unfortunately, he got so involved in his flamboyance, not to mention macho posturing (if that's what it was), that I fear he spent a lot of time acting like a jerk. I think he also wasted a lot of time commenting somewhat mindlessly on the passing cultural scene. I wonder if it wouldn't have been better for him to stay home and just write.

Will his best work live on? Critics might make the case for a few novels (and some journalism too, though that interests me less), but not having read most of them, I can't even offer a guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter