Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Getting It Completely Right And Completely Wrong At The Same Time

I've got Landsburg's book by my bedside. I borrowed it from a friend, meaning to read it in the hope that it's even half as good as Freakonomics, which was freakin' excellent. This piece, however, is discouraging enough that I'm thinking of returning it unread. Yes, outsourcing is a net good for the country that outsources its jobs. No, there is no "moral mandate" thereby created for retraining.

But he fails to then ask the third, crucial question: given those two answers, is subsidized retraining a good idea for the country? I would say yes. The best parallel I can come up with is the G.I. Bill, which can be thought of as subsidized retraining for otherwise under- or unemployed working age men who have been trained to do nothing but fight wars, and thus would be somewhat dangerous to leave around idle. It's certainly not nearly as dangerous to have a large group of under- or unemployed working age men and women who have been trained to do nothing but manufacture sitting around doing nothing, but still not a great idea for the stability of your society.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, QG, you should have titled your post, "No Justice, No Peace."

Welfare because it'll keep the little tykes pacified? I'm sure that's central to a lot of doctrines, but I can't imagine it's part of any doctrine you'd want a part of.

12:38 PM, January 16, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry. Meant to sign off above.

SWMBCg, etc.

12:39 PM, January 16, 2008  
Blogger QueensGuy said...

Pacified my arse, I want 'em working by my side instead of living off my taxes. I think of it as something like this, one of my favorite exchanges of dialogue:

Colonel: Don't you love your country?
Private Joker: Yes, sir.
Pogue Colonel: Then how about getting with the program? Why don't you jump on the team and come on in for the big win?
Private Joker: Yes, sir.
Pogue Colonel: Son, all I've ever asked of my marines is that they obey my orders as they would the word of God. We are here to help the Vietnamese, because inside every gook there is an American trying to get out. It's a hardball world, son. We've gotta keep our heads until this peace craze blows over.
Private Joker: Aye-aye, sir.

12:15 PM, January 17, 2008  
Blogger QueensGuy said...

Oh, and the merits are largely beside the point. Reasonable (and even your and my) minds can disagree, but not even raising the question means he failed at the analysis.

12:17 PM, January 17, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter