Friday, March 28, 2008

Which Is Worse?

I was talking to a friend recently and the issue of the Reverend Wright came up. (He mentioned it, not me.) My friend had all the Obama talking points internalized--that Republicans support religious nuts who are just as bad, that I don't understand how the discourse in black church's works, that it makes sense that blacks view America with suspicion, etc.

I could have said a lot of things, but I replied no one denies the problem of racism, and that America has its flaws, but this goes much deeper. We're talking about an ugly, false worldview that hurts anyone who believes it. Furthermore, most of Wright's contemporaries, many of whom had it tougher than him, don't share his views.

I mean, we're not just talking about blacks viewing America a bit differently. I noted this is a guy who believes in nutty conspiracies by rich whites against poor blacks (and others)--for example, he says that AIDS was created by white scientists to kill blacks. (He also believes Israel and South Africa worked on a bomb that would only kill dark-skinned people.) My friend said he doesn't really believe in that stuff.

I was taken aback. Why would he say these things in his sermons if he didn't believe them. But I said, okay, let's assume he doesn't really mean these things. In other words, he knowingly lied to his flock, hoping thousands would believe these stories and learn to hate whites (and America and Israel and the rich). This is better?

3 Comments:

Blogger VermontGuy said...

The truth is that no one knows what the Reverend Wright believes - except for Reverend Wright himself. As to what he's preaching, I see three possible options:

1. He truly believes what he's saying.
2. He doesn't believe it, but he's saying it because he has an agenda (i.e. he's deliberately trying to stoke the fires of racial hatred for some purpose unknown at this point).
3. He's telling his flock what he thinks they want to hear.

While I think #1 is most plausible, the cynic in me wonders - as the Reverend Wright retires to his $1.6 million dollar mansion in a gated community - if there isn't a bit of #3 thrown in for good measure.

4:46 AM, March 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm shocked that you're shocked to discover that preachers don't believe what they say. If they did, they'd be even scarier.

7:30 AM, March 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so relieved to learn that the Rev. Wright is just putting everyone on. I thought I was the only one who thought he was hilarious. Now, is Ahmadinejad just joking, too? Cause that guy's a scream.

11:41 AM, March 31, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter