Tuesday, October 07, 2008

What Say We Make It A Round Trillion?

I was under the impression that the $700 billion rescue plan/bailout included the power for the Treasury to buy up mortgages directly where appropriate. But John McCain in tonight's debate seems to be proposing the federal government spend an additional $300 billion to buy up and renegotiate bad mortgages. That makes me wonder what the heck we're paying for with the original 700 -- is the idea that we're going to buy the mortgages and take a bath on them THEN buy the securities based on those mortgages and take a bath on those too?

I'm disappointed that I've heard not one word from either of the candidates at either debate about the issues that matter to me -- civil liberties. But I have far greater pity for the economic conservative voters in the audience, who apparently have got nothing left to hope for. Both candidates are playing "I can outspend you" at a rather remarkable pace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter