Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Case Of Mistaken Identity

Our local "oldies" station has switched to an all-Christmas-song format for the holiday season. Not being energetic enough to switch the presets in my car, I wind up hearing 3 seconds of Christmas music as I surf the presets. This morning, though, I heard the unmistakeable sound of Professor Longhair -- my very favorite pianist. Yes, I could name those hands in 12 notes, I was proud to realize. These thoughts that then ran through my head, in order, over the course of about 10 seconds:
"'Fess made a Christmas album?"
"How come I never heard it before? I'd totally buy that!"
"Is this a live show and he's drunk? His playing is just a tiny bit, umm, sloppy and forced."
"Hey, that's not 'Fess, that's someone trying to sound like him, but whose hands aren't quite fast enough."
"Harry fucking Connick, Jr. Dammit. Bah humbug."

1 Comments:

Blogger Irene Done said...

That's really funny. The first time I ever heard Harry Connick Jr, he was on A Prairie Home Companion and he was talking about Professor Longhair. 20 had just come out so I went out and bought it just because of that. I still listen to the duet with Carmen McRea.

4:07 AM, November 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter