Friday, January 09, 2009

Back To The 50s

Jesse Walker is now reviewing 1958. My biggest complaint is Vertigo. It's been called Hitchcock's masterpiece, but to me it's ground zero of overhyped Hollywood classics. (Nice location shooting, though.)



In general, the 50s is not my decade for Hollywood movies. They got bigger, dumber and slower. There are almost no good comedies and the dramas aren't allowed to truly take on serious subjects. Here are some films from that year I like that didn't make the list, though I admit it's a pretty paltry bunch: The Seventh Voyage Of Sinbad, King Creole, Teacher's Pet. I also have a slight fondness for The Big Country and High School Confidential. Then there's the oddity of The Left Handed Gun.

Foreign films were a bit better that decade (especially in Italy and Japan) though the only film that comes to mind from '58 is Kurosawa's The Hidden Fortress.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter