Sunday, July 26, 2009

Mark My Words

In discussing the Gates fracas, Mark Steyn writes about the Professor's testimony at the 2 Live Crew trial:

..I confess I've been wary of taking Henry Louis Gates at his word ever since, almost two decades back, the literary scholar compared the lyrics of the rap group 2 Live Crew to those of the Bard of Avon. "It's like Shakespeare's 'My love is like a red, red rose,'" he declared, authoritatively, to a court in Fort Lauderdale.

As it happens, "My luv's like a red, red rose" was written by Robbie Burns, a couple of centuries after Shakespeare. Oh, well. 16th century English playwright, 18th century Scottish poet: What's the diff?

Actually, I think Shakespeare's own rose quotation answers that pretty well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter