Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Showdown

Occasionally I look at old posts and see comments left after it's no longer on the scroll. I sometimes even respond (in one case, a few years later), though I realize no one will likely see it.

For instance, a post in late October had me saying Kristin Chenoweth won't be bringing the same thing to Promises, Promises that Anne Hathaway would have.

A few days later, someone told me to get a life, and I responded. Then even later (off the scroll) there were more comments from a Kristin Chenoweth fan, saying I was being mean to her. I responded there, but let me say it here:

I like Kristin Chenoweth. I think she's very talented. If I were casting You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown or Wicked, I'd choose Kristin over Anne. My point was that, considering the role in Promises, Promises, I'd pick Anne Hathaway. She's got the vocal chops (and the music isn't for belting), is over a decade younger than Chenoweth and is about nine inches taller. Also, let's face it, Hathaway is a movie star who rarely appears on stage. That would mean something.

In any case, they're different. If I were casting Guys And Dolls, for example, I'd cast Kristin as Adelaide and Anne as Sarah. It's not an insult to say I prefer one to the other for any particular role.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Part of being a good fan is realizing not everyone feels the same way as you. You are entitled to your own opinion, they should realize that. Now I, for example, think Kristin will be phenomenal in Promises, Promises but that's not to say Anne wouldn't also do a good job. So anyway, just wanted to put my 2 cents in. Who cares if people think you're being mean? It's your opinion; you don't need to justify it.

8:58 AM, December 23, 2009  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I thought the use of Chenoweth in one episode of Glee was a big waste. She played a drunken, high school dropout who once had been the star of teh Glee club. The theme was recapture of old glories, but Chenoweth could have done much more and been a recurring character.

P.S. I loved Chemoweth's recent acceptance speach for an emmy I believe, where she noted she was grateful but was available to work (since "Pushing Daisies" had been cancelled. It was done in good humor.

9:17 AM, December 23, 2009  
Blogger LAGuy said...

To Anon: I was just trying to explain that I wasn't putting down Chenoweth, whom I think highly of. But it seems to me that Anne Hathaway in Promises Promises would be a must-see. Instead I hear she's going to portray Judy Garland on Broadway, which may be a bigger showcase for her but interests me much less.

To DG: Tony Randall did something similar when he accepted his Emmy for the final season of The Odd Couple. He said thanks, now if only I had a job.

9:31 AM, December 23, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Judy Garland? Finally a role that fits the height of Kristin Chenoweth.

9:36 AM, December 23, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Kristin's episode is on Glee tonight!

5:04 PM, December 23, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter