Sunday, February 14, 2010

Gay Old Time

Modern Family is doing well in the ratings. Indeed, it's holding up against American Idol. It's also the season's critical hit.

I like it, but it's hardly must-see. The concept is simplicity itself. (I tend to think sitcoms should have simple concepts, leaving room to explore). We follow three related families: a May-December couple where the May has a growing kid and the December has two adult kids with their own families--a "conventional" mom and dad with three kids and a gay couple raising an Asian baby.

It's pretty well written, even clever, though I still don't like the documentary-style storytelling, especially speaking directly to the camera. I find it annoying enough in The Office, which at least is a putative documentary, but what's it doing here?

Another problem is each episodes has three plots, one for each family, and I find the gay couple the least interesting. Their jokes seem to me the most obvious, and their characters the least compelling, so when we cut to them there's usually a drop off for me. You're not always going to like every character in a show, but not looking forward to a third of the show each week isn't helpful.

PS Speaking of The Office:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter