Sunday, February 07, 2010

Thursdays On Sunday

Sometimes it takes me a few days to catch up on the NBC Thursday comedy lineup. I just watched it last night, actually. A few comments.

Community is definitely my favorite new show. And it really uses its ensemble. The latest episode had everyone strongly involved. Also, though Gillian Jacobs is meant to be the hot girl, I think Alison Brie is giving her a run for her money. (Though I don't like her ending up, even for a short while, with non-regular Vaughn. For that matter, they shouldn't have revealed her unrequited love to Troy--that should have remained a secret for at least another season.) The show's numbers are okay, but don't yet compare to The Office or 30 Rock (which aren't gigantic themselves). I hope they grow.

Next comes Parks And Recreations, which still isn't cutting it. It's acceptable I guess--there have been so many shows in what used to be the hammock slot of 8:30 that were unwatchable, after all. If one character saves the show, it's Ron--at least half the others could be cut and it wouldn't make a difference. I'd rather the show be on at 8:00 and Community at 8:30, thus making it easier to ignore.

Then there's The Office. Dunder-Mifflin, going bankrupt, was bought by a new corporation.
Michael Scott isn't happy with the new rules and goes to visit his old boss, who, presently unemployed, has essentially gone nuts. By my count, this is the third or perhaps fourth time a stable boss who represented the voice of reason has gone crazy. How many times can they pull this stunt?

30 Rock featured a guest appearance by Jan Hooks as Jenna's mother. Now Jenna is not young, so what does that make her mom? Still, even if they played up her age, Jan Hooks looked...well, let's just say she's looked better. Maybe I haven't seen her in a while, but she's not that old.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its not just the bosses on The Office- every straight character ultimately goes nuts (intern Ryan though I guess he was a boss but he became crazy upon being the boss- his normal time came as intern)- Big mistake trying to jim (a little) nuts (wedding and day care interview)- he needs to be the smirking regular guy. Oscar is the only other normal guy right now. Erin's gone nuts

6:42 AM, February 07, 2010  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

Boy, I had trouble recognizing Jan Hooks too. I assuemd they made her up to look older than she is (or maybe I'm older than I realize).

I did not like this character - i hope she doesn't recur (though I like Jan Hooks).

10:01 AM, February 08, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter