Sunday, March 14, 2010

Almost, Not Quite

Cameron Crowe got lucky with his first sreenplay, Fast Times At Ridgemont High. It was cast with a bunch of unknowns who fit their parts perfectly. I wonder if this taught him the wrong lesson.

After Jerry Maguire, written and directed by Crowe, became a big hit, Hollywood was his oyster. He chose to make Almost Famous, a semi-autobiographical film about his days as a teenage rock critic for Rolling Stone.

He then cast three non-stars in the leads--Patrick Fugit as the Cameron Crowe stand-in, Kate Hudson as the groupie and Billy Crudup as the rock star. The critics liked it but the audience didn't turn out. There are many positives about the film, but I think the casting is all off.

Crudup's role calls for star quality. I believe Brad Pitt was originally signed for the part but he dropped out. (Did he realize it wasn't the lead?) Crudup has talent, but not rock star charisma. (I bet most rock stars are like that in person, but this is a film, not an interview.)

Hudson is the top groupie, but I'm not seeing the magic there either. Much better would have been Zooey Deschanel, who plays Fugit's older sister. I heard she was considered for the part. In any case, I have to believe of all the starlets in town, Crowe could have found a better choice than Hudson.

The central role is Fugit's. The movie pretty much hinges on us caring about his character. Fugit was completely unknown at the time (whereas today he is almost completely unknown). Now he's playing someone who's supposed to be inexperienced, with an "aw shucks" personality, working amongst sharks. I suppose it's tricky to pull off, but I find Fugit really annoying. (Having a central character be quiet and quirky makes for a weak center, which is why it's usually the rock star who carries the story.)

Would Almost Famous have worked if the casting was better? I think so. But maybe I'm being unfair. Usually when actors look bad, you can blame the screenplay (which won Crowe an Oscar, by the way).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter