Friday, March 12, 2010

Don't Ask Don't Tell

I've seen the trailer for Matt Damon's latest, The Green Zone, about five times, and darned if I could tell it was yet another anti-Iraq War film. (It seems to be about hiding the failure to find WMDs, which makes it about as dishonest a plot as one could imagine.)

I guess the trailer's reticence shows the producers recognize they made a commercial mistake, but wasn't it obvious before they started shooting? Perhaps Damon is a big enough star that it won't matter. Perhaps the film is even entertaining, though I've seen almost all the anti-Iraq films and the people who make them tend to be so outraged they usually can't be bothered with something that trivial.

My suggestion for such films is set the action on another planet and paint the enemy/good guys blue.

PS Looking through the reviews, it seems clear a lot of critics are reviewing the politics, not the film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter