Monday, May 10, 2010

A Little R&R For Fred

It's Fred Astaire's birthday. I was just watching the last real musical he made, Silk Stockings. It's based on the Cole Porter Broadway musical, itself based on the film Ninotchka. Not one of Astaire's better movies, but I'd still recommend it.

Most of the songs were taken from the show, but Porter came up with a couple for the film. In particular, I'm a fan of "The Ritz Roll And Rock." Neither Astaire nor Porter liked rock and roll, and they figured they might have some fun with a parody. The song itself is pretty clever, with Porter taking a unique point of view--rock is dead because the smart set found it too tame. Now that's how you criticize rock and roll.

Astaire pulls out the top hat, white tie and tails one more time, but only because it's so out of place. It's fascinating that the man who started in show biz when jazz was new is going out with rock and roll. He smashes his hat at the end, symbolizing the end of a glorious film career.

He never thought much of the number, but I think it's fun. Astaire was incapable of being vulgar, but seeing him get a bit wild is pretty cool.



I see the video has been removed. Guess I'll have to change my plan and put in a lively number from The Band Wagon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Irene Done said...

I had to go to the TCM site to view the video -- I've never seen Silk Stockings. I can't tell exactly why, but somehow "Ritz Rock and Roll" reminds me of "Now You Has Jazz" from High Society. Maybe it's just because they're songs about types of musics.

6:27 AM, May 10, 2010  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Fred dances while Bing sings, of course, but it's true in both, you've got late Cole Porter trying to be hip.

I think Porter's lyric for "Ritz Roll And Rock" is pretty funny, and, of course, far more sophisticated than found actual rock and roll. And I'm glad we had a chance to see Fred rock out before he retired from movie musicals.

10:49 AM, May 10, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter