Thursday, July 01, 2010

Party On?

Okay, I was writing the following when I checked and discovered, indeed, Party Down is over. What a downer. Here's what I wrote anyway:

Party Down, which I essentially discovered by chance a couple months ago, has quickly become my favorite new show. Unfortunately, after only two seasons and twenty episodes (or as the say on the BBC, a long run), I think it's done.

First, the show, as far as I understand it, has almost no viewership. The number of people who watch it is in the low six figures. I suppose, being on Starz, which doesn't have the popularity of HBO or Showtime, this is only so surprising.

Also, at least two of the six cast members have roles on new TV shows this fall, so they probably don't have time for Party Down. The format of the show--a catering team works a new event each week--allows them to bring people in and out without too much trouble; Jane Lynch, now doing nationally noted work on Glee, was replaced by Jennifer Coolidge (whom she costarred with in Best In Show) and later Megan Mullally.

However, their lead, Adam Scott, is becoming a regular on Parks And Recreations (which is shooting but won't be on till mid-season). I think Party Down is better, but I can understand Scott preferring a major network show. Still, the center of the show has always been the romance between Adam Scott's Henry and Lizzy Caplan's Casey. If either leaves, the show could go on (Diane left Cheers and Sam made do), but maybe they'll figure it's not worth it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

they are too skinny to like

3:07 PM, July 01, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that's my beat.

SWMB the ghost of ColumbusGuy, etc.

6:56 PM, July 01, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter