Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Copy Katy

Katy Perry says now she's not being sued by the Beach Boys over her song "California Gurls." Well, that's a relief.

Funny thing is, first time I heard of her was someone telling me about this great new song "I Kissed A Girl." I said yeah, that's from the 90s and it was by Jill Sobule. They said no, this is new, by Katy Perry, and she says she liked it. I noted Sobule said that as well.

I finally heard Perry's song, which I found inferior to Sobule's. But here's the thing. Is it that hard to come up with an original title? There are a lot of words in the English language. I'm sure she could combine a few (not including "girl") in a way that hasn't been a hit yet.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But do I recall some old saw that you generally can't copyright song titles (or other titles for books and movies).

I think we could make an interesting list of duplicated titles.

Rocky- (the tearjerker about the dead wife vs. theme music for running steps in Philly)

The Enforcer (Clint Eastwood as a angry cop vs. Humphrey Bogart's sleepwalking effort)
etc

7:52 AM, August 11, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter