Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Starting Out Poor

I watched the pilot of IFC's The Increasingly Poor Decisions Of Todd Margaret, created by and starring David Cross.  (The title reminds me of another IFC series--Laure Kightlinger's The Minor Accomplishments Of Jackie Woodman.)  The premise has Cross playing the title character, who's essentially a loser, a temp worker hired to sell an energy drink in England.  He has no talent for his job and keeps getting in bigger trouble.

Cross is a good standup, and I've enjoyed him in Mr. Show and Arrested Development, but I'm not seeing much here.  Maybe it'll improve, but watching a clueless guy fail isn't that much fun so far.  Worse, the one employee he has working with him, Dave, and Englishman, simply mocks him and makes life tough for him.  Watching a guy get in deeper and deeper could work, but someone nearby who's supposed to help him constantly needle him is annoying.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I was glad to see cross show up in the second episode of Running Wilde. It looks like he will be a recurring, if not central, character. So far, his scenes have been the funniest in the show.

he also was the only good thing about the Chipmunk Movie (the original - I didn't see the squeakuel so I don't know if he reappeared).

10:40 AM, October 05, 2010  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I don't know if he's a recurring character so much as he and Arnett have worked together so he did a spot on the show. (The real question is will Running Wilde be a recurring show.) I'm guessing you haven't watched the Todd Margaret show, since Will Arnett plays a major role in it.

As for the Chipmunk Movie, I wouldn't say there was anything good in it if your age is in double digits.

11:02 AM, October 05, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter