Friday, November 26, 2010

Tight Five

I saw Jerry Seinfeld in concert earlier this year.  He did a routine about how "sucks" and "great" are the same thing.  I didn't particularly like it.  The premise was more based on semantic smokescreen than true insight.  He notes in the final punchline when you drop an ice cream cone and think it sucks you say "great!" Yes, you say it ironically. (I've had the same problem with people who note that "slim chance" and "fat chance" mean the same thing, along with "I couldn't care less" and "I could care less"--in both cases, the latter phrase is a sarcastic version of the former.)

Seinfeld was just on Letterman doing the same routine.  And it killed.  I have to admit I enjoyed it more, even knowing some of what was coming.  I assume he tightened up the lines, changed or added bits, and got better in his delievery.  I guess that's what professional comedy is about.  Still didn't like the topper, though.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait-you're looking for insight from standup.

7:39 AM, November 26, 2010  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Call me a dreamer, but good comedy should be based on insightful observation.

10:02 AM, November 26, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw him on Letterman as well, and had the exact same reaction to his routine topper as you did.

As for the - ahem - generous reaction to the whole routine, Seinfeld, like Letterman during the first few bits of his monologue where he can do no wrong, resides nowadays in a rarefied bubble of former mega-celebrity, and people float him a LOT of comedic goodwill.

3:59 PM, November 27, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter