Thursday, December 02, 2010

Kersh

Before it's too late, let's celebrate Irvin Kershner, who died a few days ago.  (He shares my birthday, btw.)

He first achieved success as a TV director (though he also did other projects, such as a short film warning about the dangers of comic books).  In the 60s, he became a feature director and worked on projects such as A Fine Madness, The Flim-Flam Man (good work from George C. Scott), Loving (with quite a climax), S*P*Y*S (sort of a follow-up to M*A*S*H) and The Eyes Of Laura Mars (which led to the critics' claim "beware the Eyes of Mars").

None of these films are classics, but they're all of interest.  Obviously George Lucas saw something in them, since he hired Kershner to direct the sequel to Star Wars.  Some believe Lucas just figured he was getting a pro who'd stick to the script, but he got something more.  The Empire Strikes Back takes the characters from the first movie and deepens them.  It's one of the most successful sequels ever shot, artistically and financially.  Now we figure that's how it had to be, but Lucas was overextended and the film could just as easily have ruined him and killed the franchise (which I realize some people would have liked).

I prefer A New Hope to Empire, but there's a large movement (often anti-Lucas) which claims it's the best of the series.  Well, it's certainly great.  It's also darker than the first.  In fact, many fans were quite troubled by it--they didn't get the lift they got last time around.  In Empire, everyone's happy just to be alive at the end. (It actually took some nerve for Lucas to stop the action more at a lull than a triumph--we don't even know if Han will survive).

I still remember standing in line to see it. It was Friday and the film opened Wednesday.  Believe it or not, a kid in front of me spilled the beans and said Darth Vader is Luke's father.  I could still kill him.

In the hands of a lesser director, the introduction of a character like Yoda could have been a disaster.   But the film introduces us to new characters and new worlds as if they've been around forever.  There's also new music, "The Imperial March," which seems as much a part of Star Wars as the main theme.



Having proved himself on big budget items, Kershner did a James Bond film next, but who cares?  If he did nothing else, he deserves to be remembered for his one great work.

PS  Just read Carrie Fisher's memoir Wishful Drinking.  Entertaining, if cynical.  It's just been turned into an HBO special.   She seems a bit bitter about the Star Wars experience.  I suppose it must be weird to have a movie take over your identity at such a young age.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Ed said...

After the prequels, I wasn't sure Lucas could sink much lower. Then I read an article in which he reportedly said that "EMPIRE" is the worst of the "Star wars" movies and that Kershner did a terrible job, almost ruining the franchise.

Yeah, George. Thank god you were able to right the ship with "RETURN OF THE JEDI".

7:52 AM, December 02, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of the funniest lines Carrie Fisher uses, in reference to Lucas controlling all the rights to "Star Wars", is:

"Every time I look in a mirror, I have to send George a check."

7:55 AM, December 02, 2010  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

For a long time I considered Empire the best. But eventually I realized that I wasn't really comparing Star Wars to Empire. I was comparing my experience of seeing Star Wars, as a single movie, to my experience of seeing Empire after having practically memorized the first one.

If you considered Empire as a stand-alone movie, it would be ridiculous. Unlike a lot of sequels, there is absolutely no attempt to inform the viewer of what happened in the earlier movies and who the character are. I am not objecting to this fact! I'm just pointing out that if you insist on putting them head to head, Star Wars is better.

I was in 10th grade and stood in line at the AVCO in Westwood for five hours; we finally got in to the 3 AM show. One of the guys I was with had already heard the surprise and he did NOT tell us. I nearly jumped out of my seat when Darth said it.

9:29 PM, December 02, 2010  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I'm still sorry I didn't get to have that moment.

Actually, fans weren't entirely sure Darth was telling the truth, and we'd have to wait three years to be sure. Worse, we had to wonder all that time who was this other that Yoda was referring to.

10:23 PM, December 02, 2010  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

Well, lest you envy my Star Wars theatrical history, I must tell you that a group of us math students at the University of Washington stood in line for 22 hours (in shifts) to get tickets for Phantom Menace, and then when it opened a week later we stood in line for 26 hours to get in. We were the first ones in the door at midnight in the theater in Seattle's University District. Although we took turns in line, I was one of three or four who was in line far more than my "fair" proportion of the time.

And it sucked.

6:16 PM, December 04, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter