Friday, February 04, 2011

Milton To The B

Milton Babbitt has died.  (One of those guys you didn't know was still around.)  He was one of them Modren Composers, the kind who got rid of conventional melody, harmony, rhythm, etc, and ruined classical music.  But I kind of like it.  I wouldn't want to listen to it all the time, but it's a nice change of pace.

He liked jazz and pop (and famously had a young Stephen Sondheim for a student--they'd spends hours analyzing Beethoven, as well as Jerome Kern), but when it came to his own music, he approached it more like a mathematician, and didn't care if the man on the street couldn't whistle it.





2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's got a good beat and I can dance to it. I give it a 95.

2:39 AM, February 04, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The more I listen to Philomel the better I like it.

12:23 AM, February 07, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter