Thursday, June 02, 2011

Newies

Every Memorial Day Weekend the local oldies station, K-EARTH, plays down the top 500 hits of all time.  Oldies used to mean strictly pre-Beatles rock.  Then, as the years went by, it included stuff made during the early Beatles years, and soon all the 60s.  It's since expanded to included all the 70s and even goes a fair amount into the 80s.  Worse, it's getting rare to hear any song recorded in the 50s.

Anyway, peruse the list--a lot of fine music on it.  And some stuff that has no place being there.  I don't have time to go over it all, but let's look at the top 25:

25.”I Heard It Through The Grapevine” by Marvin Gaye (1968)

Hard to complain about this one.  Might be ranked too low.  Overall, there's a ton of Motown on the list, and while I often question where it's placed, it generally deserves to be there.

24. ”Let It Be” by The Beatles (1970)

There's no act as represented as The Beatles, which is as it should be.  Unfortunately, all their best radio songs are up in the higher numbers, while sappier (though still good) stuff like this one, "Yesterday," "The Long And Winding Road," "Something" and "Michelle" are in the top 100.  That's got it backwards.

23. ”(Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The Bay” by Otis Redding (1968)

A fine song.  Maybe too high, but I can see it making the top 100.

22. ”Have You Ever Seen The Rain?” Creedence Clearwater Revival (1971)

A great song, but I would have expected a more "classic" choice like "Bad Moon Rising" or "Proud Mary" for CCR's highest-ranking single.

21. ”Louie, Louie” by The Kingsmen (1963)

Definitely. Maybe should be top ten.

20. ”Under The Boardwalk” by The Drifters (1964)

Another good choice.

19. ”Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” by Elton John (1973)

A mistake.  I don't even want to hear it on an oldies station--or really anywhere.  I don't hate Elton John, but I don't go out of my way to listen to him.  There are also better choices for the best Elton.  Worse, knowing how these lists go, I'm almost sure there'll be another Elton coming up soon, something even more bathetic and annoying.

18. ”Respect” by Aretha Franklin (1967)

Certainly considered a classic, but Aretha has never quite done it for me the way so many other soul singers have.

17. ”Dreams” by Fleetwood Mac (1977)

Love Fleetwood Mac, love Rumours, love "Dreams," but it sure feels odd on an oldies station.

16. ”You Are The Sunshine Of My Life” by Stevie Wonder (1973)

Love Stevie, and this was one of his biggest hits, but I can name better songs.  Plus his 70s music, once again, doesn't quite have the oldies feeling.

15. ”Play That Funky Music” by Wild Cherry (1976)

What the hell is this doing here?

14. ”Brown Eyed Girl” by Van Morrison (1967)

"Brown Eyed Girl" falls into that category of classic-song-I've-heard-so-many-times-I-never-need-to-hear-it-again. (On the other hand, still love to hear "Moondance.")

13. ”Unchained Melody” by The Righteous Brothers (1965)

This is a fake oldie. It's a passable record, but the Righteous Brothers song that used to score high on such lists was, deservedly, "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'." After that, you might get "(You're My) Soul And Inspiration."  Then, in 1990, Ghost came out and revived the song, which now hangs out high on oldies lists, like an implanted memory. 

12. ”When A Man Loves A Woman” by Percy Sledge (1966)

One of the most passionate songs ever recorded.  Certainly deserves a place high up.

11. ”California Girls” by The Beach Boys (1965)

The Beach Boys made so many great songs.  Why should this single, one of their weaker efforts, end up their highest ranked? (Maybe it helps we're in California.)

10. ”Your Song” by Elton John (1970)

See #19.

9. ”Hey Jude” by The Beatles (1968)

It's always been ranked a bit high in America, and I could think of better choices, but it's a great song, and the band should have something in the top ten.

8. ”What A Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong (1968)

Another fake oldie (and one that has nothing to do with rock and roll).  This song--which is far from Armstrong's greatest moment--only makes lists because it was featured in Good Morning, Vietnam (1987).

7. ”Satisfaction” by The Rolling Stones (1965)

While I've always felt it's a bit overrated, it's certainly a classic rock and roll single, and the Rolling Stones deserved to be up there somewhere.  Too bad The Who isn't equally honored.

6. ”Black Magic Woman” by Santana (1970)

It's okay, but I've never loved it.  "Evil Ways" made #26. I don't think we need any Santana in the top 100.

5. ”Oh, Pretty Woman” by Roy Orbison (1964)

A great song from a great singer.  I'm surprised to see it this high, but I'm not unhappy about it.  I'm also glad it's not been replaced by "In Dreams," except I guess not enough people saw Blue Velvet.

4. ”What’s Going On?” by Marvin Gaye (1971)

Exactly, what's going on?  First, we're missing that oldies feeling.  Second, if you have to pick a soul song from 1971, it should be "Let's Stay Together."  Third, there are a ton of better Motown songs.  Fourth, once you add "I Heard It Through The Grapevine," that's it for Marvin Gaye on the list.

3. ”Imagine” by John Lennon (1971)

I've blogged about this before.  As much as I love John, it's not much of a song (much less a great oldie).

Highest George Harrison?  "My Sweet Lord" at #31.  ("He's So Fine" is only #101.  That's not fair.)

Highest Paul McCartney?  "Maybe I'm Amazed" at #83, though I'd guess he's got more than the rest of the solo Beatles combined.

Highest Ringo?  I'm not sure if the list goes that high.

2. ”Light My Fire” by The Doors (1967)

Interesting choice.  Certainly a classic (long or short).

1. ”My Girl” by The Temptatons (1965)

I wouldn't have guessed this would be at the top, and it's not my favorite Motown, but it's a great number, and has certainly been kept alive by couples who make it their song. ("My Guy" comes in at #81).

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Jacksons- Michael or otherwise. Fatigue from earlier lists, the Court TV coverage (there's no Phil spector either , is there)?

3:21 AM, June 02, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I didn't have the time to go over the list closely, but quickly looking over it, the rarity of Spectorish songs is shocking. Or would be, except it's part of the new oldies concept. Not only are 50s songs rare--any pre-Beatles songs are.

I checked and sure enough, Paul had more than the other Beatles, but it was closer than I expected. On my rough count, Paul has 5 while John, surprisingly, has 4, and John's tend to be ranked higher. And I was unfair to Ringo--he did have a song on the list: "It Don't Come Easy" at #272.

Also, we see the Jackson 5 here and there. "The Love You Save" at #220, "ABC" at #196. and "I Want You Back" at #158. Still, it's surprising there's no solo Michael (though his big hits come a little late), and, considering all the Motown, nothing from the 5 in the top #100.

4:20 AM, June 02, 2011  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

No Elvis in the top 25!?!

8:15 AM, June 02, 2011  
Blogger New England Guy said...

According to our wiki friends, the following are Spector songs

Unchained Melody
Imagine
Instant Karma (Don't know if its on the list)
Long and Winding Road(Don't know if its on the list)
My Sweet Lord

8:53 AM, June 02, 2011  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Also among Phil's pre-murder trial work:

You've Lost That Lovin Feelin'

Then He Kissed Me (Don't know if its on the list)

8:56 AM, June 02, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

When you're talking about Phil Spector songs, you don't really mean the later stuff he did with the Beatles any more than you mean the stuff he did with the Ramones. You're talking about the Wall Of Sound stuff, especially with girl groups, such as "Da Doo Ron Ron," "Be My Baby," "He's A Rebel" and "Baby, I Love You." The lack of those kind of songs on the list is pretty shocking.

9:54 AM, June 02, 2011  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Nope- I was just working off of a list and comparing it to this- I wouldn't have ever considered the Beatles songs to have been Spector (I was surprised frankly and never realized he was involved)

however the Ramones specifically said they were adopting the wall of sound for Spector on the "End of the Century" album- Its my least favorite Ramones album and I think Joey was quoted as saying it didn't sound like a Ramones album

1:38 PM, June 02, 2011  
Blogger sheldon said...

Comments in no particular order. Not only did Creedence have better songs, they had better songs about rain. Elt-ala had a dozen better songs/hits than GYBR. And Your Song? Y'know what Elton, you keep it. You might not like #15, Play That Funky Music. But at least it was their best song.

Top of my head: where's The Bird, Dancing in the Streets, (you mentioned) Al Green, Stevie's Superstition, Supremes, The Who's Can't Explain, or something! If James Brown had somehow made the list, unfortunately, they'd have chosen I Feel Good. See Brown-Eyed Girl (above).

Nicely done, PJG.
Sheldon

11:56 PM, June 03, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

By the way, if I had to choose a top Motown song, though it would be tough, it would probably be Heat Wave (which I know must be somewhere on the list).

The Beatles Get Back sessions were intended to return to a simple, raw sound. The band was unhappy with what they had. They next recorded Abbey Road, their last official new album.

Meanwhile, Phil Spector had given up on records after "River Deap--Mountain High" didn't chart well in 1966. Allen Klein, the Beatles manager, brought him out of retirement and he produced Lennon's "Instant Karma!," which was good enough that Lennon and Harrison gave him the Get Back tapes to see what he could make of them.

The album, Let It Be, was a huge hit. (Being The Beatles, I think it would have been big no matter what). Lennon was pleased that Spector made something listenable out of the tapes, but McCartney hated that he'd added a female choir to "The Long And Winding Road."

But that's how Spector was involved with The Beatles. I don't think it was a high point for Phil or for the band.

10:59 AM, June 04, 2011  
Anonymous Lynette said...

What remedial music history student put together this list? Your comments are spot-on if a bit restrained. It's usually entertaining to read lists of this nature unless they're so off, then it's just aggravating. Why don't you put your own list together and share it with us?

8:49 AM, June 06, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I'll consider it, Lynette, though there are so many songs and styles to choose from I'd probably have to make a series of lists, each limited to fairly specific areas.

11:07 AM, June 06, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter