Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Petty Cavils

This is from a discussion in Slate of David Mamet:

...he is not only one of the most celebrated of American dramatists but one of the most prolific. From plays such as American Buffalo (1975), a Pinteresque drama about four petty thieves...

Four? I only count three.

Speaking of Slate, here's a piece on great movie threats made by women.  It includes:

Dolly Parton as Doralee Rhodes in 9 to 5 (1980)
"If you ever say another word about me or make another indecent proposal, I'm gonna get that gun of mine, and I'm gonna change you from a rooster to a hen with one shot! And don't think I can't do it."

I realize the line works with audiences, but it's always bothered me.  A country girl like Dolly (and Doralee) would know a castrated rooster is not a hen.  But I guess "I'm gonna change you from a rooster to a capon" doesn't have the same zing.

While I'm at it, this is from an email received at Instapundit:

The media stage the world’s largest “Chinese fire drill” looking for something, ANYTHING, to skewer [Sarah Palin] with and after a truckload of emails she didn’t think anyone would ever read she comes across as honest, forthright, funny, and smart. A brunette Carol Lombard in My Man Godfrey.

Hmm.  Carole (with an "e") Lombard is a delight in My Man Godfrey.  But "honest, forthright, funny, and smart"?  Her character may be canny, in her own way, but overall she's a classic ditzy socialite.  She's probably the last person Sarah Palin would want to be compared to.



BTW, I highly recommend the entire movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter