Saturday, July 23, 2011

Camping It Up

As part of a series on summer camp, Timothy Noah has an article in Slate about how your reaction to camp tells a lot about you.  His piece is humorous, but I've had the same theory for years.

I hated camp.  Unlike Noah, I liked sports, which camp certainly had, but I didn't like being thrown into a regimented place with people I didn't know. (Good thing I grew up after the draft.) The best day I had at camp was when I broke my glasses and had to be driven into town to get a new pair. I preferred to spend my summers hanging out with friends I'd chosen, doing what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it.  That's the attitude, I suppose, of a libertarian.  Or maybe just a quiet, introspective type.  Or someone very lazy.

Meanwhile, my brother loved camp.  I'm not saying that makes him less independent, though it probably suggests he's better with people. (I don't think it tells how he'll vote.)

My sister also went to camp, though I'm not sure how she felt about it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A man is never sure how a woman feels about it.

5:57 AM, July 23, 2011  
Blogger QueensGuy said...

I loved day camp. I was a city kid 10 months out of the year, but for two months I'd be bused daily to somewhere that I could play on green fields and swim in uncrowded pools all day. By the time I was 12 I was way too "cool" for the organized activities, and was fortunate enough to have counselors that let me and my friends wander off to do what we pleased so long as we returned on time and didn't start fires. I remember spending a LOT of time on the risers near the outdoor stage where the girls would practice their dance routines.

8:03 AM, July 23, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember camp very uncomfortably mainly because I hated the outhouses and was always holding out for infrequent visits to private indoor plumbing.

8:44 AM, July 23, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter