Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Fourmost

Fascinating essay from Chuck Klosterman on why Breaking Bad is the best TV show of the last decade.  He starts noting everyone agrees what the top four shows are:

there doesn't seem to be much debate over what have been the four best television shows of the past 10 years. [....] The Sopranos, The Wire, Mad Men, and [...] Breaking Bad. [....] Taste is subjective, but the critical consensus surrounding these four dramas is so widespread that it feels like an objective truth; it's become so accepted that this entire paragraph is a remarkably mundane argument to make in public. I'm basically writing, "The greatness of these great shows is defined by their greatness."

I agree it's hard to top those four.  Though I'd throw in Lost, despite its last season, and Battlestar Galactica and House aren't that far behind.  I'm also ignoring sitcoms, which are a different game, though Klosterman doesn't exclude them. (I like how Klosterman criticizes Wire fans for being so obnoxious about the greatness of their show.)

Klosterman puts Breaking Bad at the top because it's the only one where a character actually goes through a moral arc, and consciously decides to do wrong.  The other shows allow the viewer a distance, since the time and place the characters find themselves in help define them.  But in Breaking Bad--and this wasn't obvious at first--characters create their own moral destiny.  And we start by identifying with Walt, and even as he sinks in deeper and deeper, we still (so far, I think) take his side. (This is actually an old dramatic trick--creating a sympathetic character who starts doing really nasty things.  Euripides did it all the time.)

I'm not sure if this is a good enough reason to put the show on top, but it does make it different.  It's true we tend to identify with Tony Soprano, but from the first episode he's a mobster and we have to accept that.

Actually, each of these shows sticks out in its own way.  Mad Men is different because the other three deal with organized crime and contain lots of violence.  The Wire has the widest view of society, each season including a little more of what Baltimore is about.  The Sopranos (which was the biggest cultural phenomenon of the four) has the "glamor" of the mafia.  But Breaking Bad might be the most different of the four in that, good or bad, it's the most concentrated.  All the other shows have much bigger casts and many more themes, but Breaking Bad is about one man making one decision that creates a very different world for himself and those around him.

Is it the best of those four?  I don't know.  But when I'm watching it, I think it is.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tangential topic--

If you had to make this decision about the greatest shows in a different era- say the mid to late80s, what would you have picked? Hill Street Blues. despite some general similarities, its Very different from the shows discussed but also very different from the entertainment available at the time. [What else -St.elsewhere?, HBO's First and Ten with OJ Simpson as NFL GM T.D. Parker]

3:33 AM, July 20, 2011  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

My Vote for Best TV Dramas by Decade

From 80s:

Hill Street Blues
LA Law
St Elsewhere
Miami Vice
Star Trek TNG
Moonlighting (unless you consider it primarily a comedy)

from the 90s:

Twin Peaks
Star Trek TNG & Deep Space Nine
X-Files
Buffy the Vamp Slayer & Angel
Ally McBeal (unless you consider it primarily a comedy)

Straddling the 80s & 90s: The Wonder Years

8:29 AM, July 20, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Ally McBeal won an Emmy for best comedy. (Not that that makes it a comedy.) And if you don't think Wonder Years is a comedy, then the producers have failed.

9:30 AM, July 20, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

In general, until recently, I tended to watch sitcoms, not dramas. Certainly in the 90s, the shows I looked forward to were Seinfeld or The Simpsons or Larry Sanders, not hourlongs.

I liked the original Star Trek, but didn't really watch any of the sequels beyond TNG, which I liked but didn't love.

Hill Street Blues was a great show (though I don't know how it would hold up), St. Elsewhere, not so much.

I agree LA Law, Miami Vice and Moonlighting were fun, though in different ways.

The biggest hits of the 80s were the prime time soaps, like Dallas and Dynasty, which I never watched.

I did sort of like Wiseguy, though it varied from arc to arc. (It also introduced me to Jonathan Banks, who's so great on Breaking Bad.) I also thought thirtysomething wasn't bad, even if it took itself a bit too seriously.

Though I didn't watch the Star Trek Spinoffs, I did like Babylon 5.

I loved Twin Peaks, though it burned out quickly.

I didn't particularly like X-Files, which I considered ridiculous. Never watched Buffy, but maybe someday I'll get around to it.

9:52 AM, July 20, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, Gale was not only using a box cutter in the first scene, he also had his "Lab Notes" around. So we know, if nothing else, that contains his analysis of Walt's (who was unknown to him then) meth.

9:45 AM, July 21, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter