Sunday, July 17, 2011

GG

Happy birthday, Gale Garnett.

Born in New Zealand, her family moved to Canada when she was eleven.  (Don't worry, they brought her along.)

She's a singer, actress and writer, best known for her 1964 Grammy-winning hit "We'll Sing In The Sunshine."



PS  There's something about this number that brings out a combination of nostalgia and regret.  If this song isn't poignant enough for you, read these YouTube comments:

I'm 64 now, but when I was 18 (in 1964) I met a young man and fell in love. We stayed together 1 year (almost) then our parents tricked us into splitting up. He was on the east coast, me on the prairies. We never found the money to get back together then, and went on with our lives. I will never forget him and this song always reminds me of that time.

WOW! What a rush of emotions came over me, when I came across this song. Long,long- ago, when I was 25, I fell in love with a very beautiful young women, who had a free spirit. For a year we laughed, loved, and enjoyed life together. And like the lyrics in the song she left me, for a career. I drifted away, and over time I lost touch with her. Now forty years later I can only wonder what life would have been like if we stayed together. I will always remember her.

I'm 22 years old. I got a job at a grocery store that played 50's and 60's music all the time. I absolutely hated it for the first few months. Eventually, it grew on me. I can understand why people look at music today and see that something was lost along the way. Its true. But that doesn't mean we still cant enjoy stuff like this. So many songs that grew on me, I just won't forget. Sometimes i imagine what it was like back then. Consider yourself lucky to have been there.

i was six when this song came out.. i can remember my moms transistor radio sitting in the window .this played as i splashed in my kiddie pool .and you best know i was singing in the sunshine and laughing evryday....man there is nothing good about being old

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading those comments I feel like shooting myself.

10:42 AM, July 17, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

David Brooks would be happy to hear it. Double bonus points if you are a Republican. (Sorry, no cash value, not even 1/100th of a cent.) Today's column is all about how too much end of life spending is spent on end of life and not on Obama's friends at General Electric.

Along altogether different lines, it's interesting to juxtapose LAGuy's distaste for Wilfred, because the creature does hateful things to the protagonist, with his love of "Breaking Bad," which I suppose is about entrepreneurs and overcoming cancer. Would David Brooks approve or condemn?

1:44 PM, July 17, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

The whole meaning of drama is putting the protagonist in tough situations. But if one character only exists to do hateful things to another, I don't understand why that other puts up with it if there's a choice. (In Breaking Bad, Walt's relationship with Jesse could fall into that category if the characters weren't handled well.)

2:01 PM, July 17, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter