Sunday, August 14, 2011

Double Down

I noticed both seasons of Party Down were on sale at Amazon.  I was about to order when I wondered if it wasn't on sale everywhere.  So I went to my local Target and sure enough the double set was available for $15.  I scooped it up and have been watching it over the weekend.

It holds up--not that it shouldn't, since it was on only a few years ago. I've written about it before, but to repeat, the show is a sitcom built around a catering crew, all of whom would rather be somewhere else.  Each week the plot is built around the event they cater.

I forgot what a bunch of losers these guys are.  The characters range from bitter to delusional to stupid to cynical.  Watching the episodes in chronological order, I could see how it takes a show or two to develop their rhythm, but they figure it out pretty quickly.  (They better, with only 20 episodes.)

They lost Jane Lynch in season 1 and replaced her with Megan Mullally in season 2, which actually improved the show.  The weak link, if I have to call him that, is Ryan Hansen as the handsome but dim actor.  Feels like we've seen this done before, and done better.  But why complain, the show is great.  And now that it's cheap, there's no excuse not to own it.

1 Comments:

Blogger brian said...

I really like the idea of the show. Never saw it.

11:55 AM, August 16, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter