Thursday, September 08, 2011

Otay!

Hollywood is abuzz--Eddie Murphy will host the Oscars.  It's an interesting choice.  A true movie star and a true stand-up.  Also a guy who doesn't make that many public appearances.  But is the timing right?  If this were 25 years ago, you bet--the hottest star around who loves to make people laugh.  Lately, however, he's had as many flops as hits, and it's not clear if he's still got the chops.

I've always thought he's one of the least appreciated actors in town.  He does a great job in almost every film, but because he mostly works in "dumb" comedies, and because he makes it look easy, critics are less than impressed.  On the other hand, I've never loved his stand-up--it always seemed like a pale imitation of Richard Pryor.

And that's another problem, of course.  He works blue.  Can he do the hosting duties and put over specially prepared clean material at the same time?  It's a tricky balance which he probably could handle in the SNL days, but that was thirty years ago.

Most people didn't think Chris Rock pulled it off, for example. But that's part of why Murphy's a good choice.  Everyone will tune in to see how it plays out.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is Eddie the model for Tracey Jordan/Morgan?

6:25 AM, September 08, 2011  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I would not think so - Murphy was not a big star before he joined SNL. He became a star through SNL.

I would think someone like Billy Crystal, who joined SNL after he already had a name, is more like the Tracey Jordan character (though their behavior is completely different)

I'm looking forward to a Murphy Oscar. Everytime I watch on DVD one of his flops, I find it more entertaining than I think the critics give it credit for. I think Haunted Mansion is a terrific Halloween movie, up there with Beetleguise and Ghost Busters.

8:38 AM, September 08, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell you what. Why don't you keep watching Pluto Nash until it becomes a classic?

9:05 AM, September 08, 2011  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

Okay, I haven't seen Pluto Nash.

But I liked Meet Dave well enough. Daddy Daycare could have been a lot worse. Bowfinger is very funny. The Nutty Professor had some charms.

I don't watch the Norbit films, however.

10:56 AM, September 08, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter