Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Totally 80s

A Rolling Stone poll asked readers for the worst songs of the 80s, and here are the results:

1.  Starship - "We Built This City"
2.  Europe - "The Final Countdown"
3.  Chris de Burgh - "The Lady In Red"
4.  Wham! - "Wake Me Up (Before You Go Go)"
5.  Men Without Hates - "The Safety Dance"
6.  Falco - "Rock Me Amadeus"
7.  Bobby McFerrin - "Don't Worry Be Happy"
8.  Toni Basil - "Mickey"
9.  Taco - "Puttin' On The Ritz"
10. Rick Astley - "Never Gonne Give You Up"

I like most of these.  They're not classics, but they're still sort of fun.  I can think of quite a few worse songs from the era.  Looking only at #1 hits of the 80s, here are some titles (in chronological order):

"Sailing" by Christopher Cross, "Lady" by Kenny Rogers, "I Love A Rainy Night" by Eddie Rabbit, "Keep On Loving You" by REO Speedwagon (anything by REO Speedwagon), "Truly" by Lionel Richie, "Africa" by Toto, "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" by Bonnie Tyler, "Islands In The Stream" by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, "Against All Odds" by Phil Collins, "Caribbean Queen" by Billy Ocean, "Oh Sheila" by Ready For The World, "Broken Wings" by Mr. Mister, "That's What Friends Are For" by Dionne & Friends, "Glory Of Love" by Peter Cetera, "Amanda" by Boston, "Head To Toe" by Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam, "Didn't We Almost Have It All" by Whitney Houston, "Hold On To The Nights" by Richard Marx, "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" by Poison, "When I'm With You" by Sheriff and "Baby Don't Forget My Number" by Milli Vanilli.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have The Safety Dance as one of the best songs of the 80s.

I would have thought that anything by Bon Jovi could have made the worst list except that Jon Bovi have made them more likeable.

I agree that the easy listening/arena rock variety of songs should be the on the worst list.

3:02 AM, October 11, 2011  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

It seems to me th elit is the most over-played songs. Familiarity it seems breed contempt.

Obviously, likes and dislikes are highly subjective, personal choices. But I don't think one of those songs on the lost fails to have an interesting hook. 25 years later, I can hum every one of them, that must count for something.

My list would be a bunch of filler tracks from the albums that these songs came from.

7:45 AM, October 11, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Falco get a pass for the fact that The Simpsons did a great Planet of the Apes musical based on his work(Rock me Dr. Zaius!)

12:09 PM, October 11, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter